Looking for a fun late summer/early fall birthday theme? Well look no further! Nothing can be S’More fun than a camping birthday party! Just the s’mores alone should have you hooked. Throw in some sleeping bags, tents, arrows, lanterns, a great log cake and lots of adorable party decorations and you have the most perfect backyard party! You can find a full camping birthday party package which includes everything you could ever need. And if that’s not enough inspiration, head on over to our Pinterest board and check out a whole slew of adorable camping party ideas. Let the adventure begin!
Dart Gun Cupcake Toppers
The Birthday Battle in our house has begun! So we happen to have a house filled with two crazy boys both celebrating birthdays within weeks of each other. Which means there are a lot of celebrations going on at once. And when your mom designs birthdays for other kids, you inherit the perk of asking for any kind of custom design imaginable. My kids take full advantage of that. However, this year, they both actually agreed on what they wanted… a dart gun party. Where they could run around and shoot every one (and get presents for it). So this is the first year we actually shared a birthday party. OMG… what have I been missing all these years?! Yes. Share. It’s a magical word that carries with it half the mom-work. Really. Half the work. Why had I never realized that!?
Dart Gun Birthday Invitations
So a dart gun theme it was.. and boy oh boy, we had LOTS of fun with it. We started with fabulous invitations and added lots of bulls eyes, polka dots and orange & blue details everywhere. We rented out a local gym and party room, brought our own dart guns, kids’ eyeglasses, and 1,600 darts. Yes. You read that correctly. 1,600 darts. And it was A-MA-ZING! We stood up firm mats that the gym provided to act as shelters and forts on the field. We had pizza and adorable cupcakes. (Check out my cupcake decoration post for all my secrets on how to never bake but still have awesome, easy birthday desserts). And lots of dart favors. Those already came pre-packaged (Thanks Amazon!), and all we had to do was print our favor tags on sticky paper and throw stickers on them. Did I mention that the adults seemed to have more fun than the kids? Yep, there’s something really rewarding about shooting your own kids with dart guns. It really does make you feel better.
Dart Gun Birthday Invitation with Photo + Cupcake Topper
Dart Gun Water Bottle Label + Cupcake Topper
Dart Favors with Personalized Sticker
Dart Gun Birthday Invitation + Personalized Favor Stickers
Dart Gun Cupcake Topper
So I’m not much of a baker. Well, not much of a cupcake baker. And those beautiful frosting swirls? Yep, can’t do it. Don’t get me wrong – I have those little tools and the puffy pastry bag, but it just doesn’t happen. Not for me. And I’m fine with it because I can buy any generic grocery store cupcake and turn it into a perfect party dessert (in about five minutes).
So today on the blog, I’m sharing my secret. It’s simple:
- Buy those grocery store/bakery cupcakes. I won’t tell. (And for those of you who can actually bake a delicious cupcake… well.. I’m jealous). For the rest of us, here’s a tip: pre-order. Our local grocery store takes preorders, and will always honor my request for two different color frostings and any color sprinkles. This makes a HUGE difference. Do it.
- Pick up a package of adorable cupcake liners from any craft store, party store, or on Etsy. I’m partial to polka dots or other bold designs. Place the cupcakes right into the new liners (as is) a little bit before serving. Don’t do it too early because the pretty cupcake liners tend to spread out and loosen up over time.
- And lastly… add a printable cupcake topper! Of course, I’m a little biased since I design cupcake toppers, but I’m amazed by how many people don’t use them or don’t know how to make them. It’s super simple:
- Print the file on heavy white card stock (100 lb or more) from any color printer. At Oodles and Doodles, they come formatted with 12 per page.
- Purchase short lollipop sticks from any craft store. Make sure they’re the SHORT 4 inch ones, and not the super long (6 inch) ones.
- Grab a 2 inch round punch (really, they’re cheap and worth it) and punch out the circles. (I design cupcake toppers as a circle inside of a square so you can always cut them out as squares as well. But, to be very honest, it’s the circle that makes it). Buy a punch. They’re inexpensive and you’ll be shocked how many times you use it (favor bag labels, gift labels, etc).
- So here’s the easy part. Once you have the toppers punched out all you have to do is glue or tape them on to the lollipop stick. Lots of different methods work. For those perfectionists, you can use a white dot sticker to tape the back so you won’t see any unsightly glue. For me, I have a love affair with my glue gun and use that. Quick and totally simple. (You can find these London Guard cupcake toppers and the whole matching party kit available here).
- Display them beautifully on a cupcake tower or platter. I have one from Crate & Barrel that’s held up through many parties. And for more easy display tips, check out this party decoration tips post.
And that’s it! It’s an inexpensive party dessert that only takes a few minutes, but feels like it took hours.
Photo Credit: Bridget Lynn Photography
It’s birthday season in our house! Not only do we have a little guy turning two, but our other little mad scientist is turning FIVE! So.. HE has designed (because that’s what you get when you’re a kid with a mom that promises to make you anything you want)… a lab pass scientist invitation. Now available in the Etsy shop with matching items coming soon (as soon as this momma can get it all together).
We’re finally getting over the holidays around here and moving right on to the next one…. Valentine’s Day! I love Valentine’s Day. There’s just so many cute things to make for the little ones. We’re already working on some little preschool gifts over here and will be sure to post some photos of our creations shortly. In the meantime, check-out all the new Valentine Designs in the Etsy shop or at Oodles and Doodles. ** AND look for a 10% off coupon on the Facebook Page for all Valentine designs on the Oodles and Doodles website.